Saturday, March 16, 2013

A Day to Reflect - A Special Young Man

It's Saturday, March 16th here in Uganda. We arrived on March 6th, making this a bit past the half way point in our visit. We have been quite busy since our arrival, visiting (so far) ARM headquarters, the Luzira Community Church, the Mulete and Kacungwa Child Development programs, Africa Renewal University and Makarere University. We have slept in guest houses, a mountainside hotel, a pastor's home (my bed was in the garage), and a very sparse college dormitory. We see a country that is striving to come up. We have met young Ugandan professionals and seen the poorest babies with nothing to eat. We have worshipped with urban Ugandans in a tent and school children in a chapel. Both Dave and I have gotten sick and felt near utter exhaustion. We have struggled to sleep in beds that are too small for our 6" plus frames, while outside we have heard either Muslim prayers or all-night worship or thunderous, torrential rain on a metal roof. We have not really seen a good piece of meat this whole trip (save one very tasty cheeseburger in Kampala). We have ridden on awful rutted roads and glutted city streets in all sorts of vehicles (only one had working a/c). We have even packed into smelly public taxi vans and perched on the back of some crazily-driven bota-botas (motorbikes).

I miss the U.S. I miss my wife, my friends, my grand kids, my church. I am so out of my comfort zone. But this trip has been totally worth the discomfort. Why? Well, for me, it has been an extraordinary opportunity to meet some men and women of great character and strength. It is not easy for many here in Uganda. The common theme from those Christians we have met is how busy they are. Many work more than one job. Usually both spouses work. The roads are bad. The government is corrupt. (We heard this from everyone.).

But these people, the ones I have met, are some of the kindest and most gracious souls I have ever met. And to a person, they love Jesus Christ. They pray fervently. They worship joyfully. They welcome you into their homes, to their tables. They are like Christ.

I wanted to mention one person whom I have come to know and love. His name is Abbe Katerega. He is the IT (computer) tech for the ARM headquarters. He has been one of our main contacts here for obvious reasons. So we have spent much time with him. Technically, he is very gifted. He has single-handedly built there network and keeps there systems going. Not only at the HQ office, but at various project locations surrounding Kampala. They have laptops and a database for tracking sponsored children at the most remote places you can imagine. He may be one of the most strategic thinkers in his organization. Yet he is extremely humble. And his love for the mission do ARM (to help turn disadvantaged children into Uganda's next leaders is exemplary).

Yesterday Dave was at another location, so I spent most of the day with Abbe. We started with staff devotions. After a time of prayer and worship, Abbe led a devotion in Psalm 91. The theme of that Psalm is "The Lord is my refuge and fortress". He shared this truth with the passion of a man who depends ever so intensely on The Lord for refuge. He then led a series of prayers for the children of Uganda, the orphans at Bethany Village, and many others.

We then moved into our work day, where he was an active participant in a discussion of financial system options. I was impressed by his insights. He has a keen analytical mind and an understanding of systems. Following this, we took time for a light snack at a desk. He told me a little about his past. He grew up as an orphan and knows hunger first hand. We talked about the importance of male leadership for small boys and I told him how my dad taught me the value of hard work. We shared our love of God's word. I told him how privileged I was to have the chance to get to become his friend. He smiled and sort of blushed through his mocha-colored skin.

I could say much more about this young man, but you get the point. He and others like him have made this trip meaningful for me. He wants to help other kids who have a very tough life get a chance. He doesn't want them sponsored forever (that becomes a mindset to some). He is the future of Uganda and I encourage you who read this to make him part of your prayers. I know I will.





No comments:

Post a Comment