Thursday, March 28, 2013

Somehow

It has been a few days now that I’ve been home.  At least I think that’s the case – time  has become a bit of a blur after a 32 hour trip home and the loss of 9 hours.  Jet lag doesn’t really describe the impact on my sleep cycle.  Exhausted and sitting up at 2am is not something that is anywhere near normal for me.  I would like to say that I’ve had plenty of time to think things through, but my brain still doesn’t work quite right and is just crying out for sleep. Hopefully I will get over it soon and reacclimatize to Colorado time, weather, food and elevation.

It’s been just over 6 months since I left my work at the Oregon Department of Justice and moved to Colorado (8 months for Debbie & Ryan).  Everything that has happened since that time has been geared to this trip and it has been my hope that somewhere along the way it would become clear to me what “the answer” is.  I thought that maybe God would speak clearly to me and I would know the plan.  I wanted to learn whether it is His desire that I continue this path of work and that He would show me how I am going to be able to pay the bills.  Somehow, I expected an answer but none came – at least that I’m aware of.

Instead, I learned a lot about the need for the work, spent time with some very inspiring people and discovered just how blessed I was to be able to spend this time in Uganda with them.  As I reflect on my time in Uganda and have tried to clarify in my own mind what it was about THIS trip that made it so special, it would have to be the people!  Below are some pictures of the people I was so privileged to spend time with and get to know better! 

DSCF4555DSCF4663DSCF4759DSCF4839DSCF4876DSCF4889DSCF5056DSCF5075DSCF5092DSCF5109DSCF5137DSCF5229DSCF5323DSCF5005DSCF5173DSCF5308DSCF5312DSCF5396DSCF5421DSCF5427DSCF4632DSCN0208DSCF5011DSCF5096DSCN0179DSCN0334DSCN0347DSCN0415DSCF5310DSCF5311DSCF5744DSCN0093DSCF5531DSCF5637

I would like to take time in this post to try and write something about each person whose pictures are here – and the many who aren’t here – but don’t have the time or space.  These are servants of God working together in ministry and fellowship to meet the needs of the poor in Uganda.  Each one has his or her own unique role in God’s work in Uganda.

Something that was very different about this from my trip last year is that I really didn’t have that much time with the young children.  It was difficult because I love them so much, but what I found instead was perhaps more beneficial for me to understand.  Where I spent most of my time was around the upcoming leaders in Uganda and those responsible for preparing them for the work ahead to change a nation.

The work to feed and care for the children in need is very important, don’t get me wrong.  The children must be enabled to survive and thrive to become fruitful young adults.  However, by continuing to focus just on the young children, we are only treating a symptom.  We must work to enable the young adults of Uganda to become leaders in their own country where they will be addressing the problems faced daily and finding solutions to the corruption that plagues the country.  Ministries and schools are providing Christ-centered education and instilling integrity and a Christian worldview that will provide the foundation for a future of hope.

As I found particularly in Luweero and Gulu, what was missing in the lives of people devastated by so many years of war and terror was hope - hope that is only found in the gospel and salvation in Jesus Christ.  I heard people tell me that there is no thought that they can ever strive to be happy.  I saw people who had been given hand-outs by well-meaning relief organizations, but are no better off than they were before (in fact, I would argue that they are worse off because of the years of becoming dependent on outside aide and not developing a sense of contribution to their own welfare).

The amount of work that needs to be done is absolutely overwhelming. In Uganda, I found myself constantly challenged by doubt and uncertainty. One night, the feeling of discouragement was so oppressive that it felt like it was literally smothering me in the intense blackness of the African night. All I could do in the dark was call out to Jesus for help -- it was the only thing I could do.

As I prepare to celebrate Easter, what has been guiding me is that Jesus taught to “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength; and love your neighbor as yourself.”  I’ve been focused on the work, Uganda, family, financial needs and so many other things, but God reminds me constantly that I need to seek Him first and to love Him above all.  Out of that love of God flows the ability to love others as they should be loved.

So, as I move ahead to find where God is leading my life, it is this relationship with God that I must focus on and and in faith trust that He will make the way – somehow.

Thank you for following along on this journey, for your support and most of all for your prayers.

It is in the name of our risen Lord and Savior Jesus Christ that we pray and we believe!

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment