Saturday, March 2, 2013

Preparation

I am sitting in my home office, less than two hours before leaving for the Portland airport. First stop is Denver, to be picked up by my traveling companion, brother in The Lord and co-author of this blog. (To be fair, it's Dave's blog and I'm just freeloading! )

Preparation for this adventure has many levels. Dave has borne the major task of coordinating our visit with multiple hosts. The transportation and lodging pieces seem like something from "The Amazing Race"! Where do we stay each time, how to get from Ministry A to Ministry B. The Ugandans have been very gracious, but there are many parts and with a 13-hour time difference, email communication can be challenging. Dave has done a great job with that.

Beyond the travel arrangements, we are trying to understand what they need from a technology viewpoint. Our mission is one of discovery, but we want to be as prepared as possible. So we ask questions and get some answers. I think our hosts may not understand that Dave and I have been managers for many years, because they are asking for technical assistance! We will do our best. I am carrying three laptops to leave there, plus 100 feet of VGA (computer video) cable. We are also expected to lead some business analysis meetings to help them formulate strategic and organizational goals. So what templates do I need to take along? What sample policies and procedures might be helpful? What presentations do I have that i could use or modify? I have loaded up a memory stick with as much as I can find.

How do I prepare personally for a three week visit to Africa? I've gotten yellow fever shots and a hepatitis booster. I've taken polio pills and have a bottle of malaria pills. I've bought anti-bug clothing and sprayed all my other clothes with a powerful bug-repellant. I have anti-diarrhea pills. Anti-histamines, Pepto, vitamins, protein bars, and two rolls of toilet paper (someone said- they have a different "standard" over there...). I don't know what the laundry situation will be. And last of all, Uganda is a cash-only economic system. Wow, a lot to consider. And stress over!

There is a strong spiritual component to this trip. We are speaking to Christian leaders, college students, and school children. What can I share from God's Word? What lessons do I have already prepared ( or do I need to prepare)? How can I offer applications of Scripture to the lives of people who live in a different continent, in a different economy, in a different culture?

Which brings me to the most important preparation, getting my heart ready. I will confess I have not spent enough waking hours just seeking God's voice. I have been blessed by the prayers of my Sunday morning Kids' Church kids. They surrounded me and laid hands, and arms and shoulders on me. I was deeply touched. There was evening prayer at my church. My morning Bible study group will be praying for me. All this is so vital. And I need to stay in His Word. I truly covet your prayers for Dave and I in this important area.

So that's my preparation. I know I over-think things. I am praying for God's peace and his guidance over the next 25 days or so. I need Him desperately. Thank you again for your prayers and love. Lloyd



No comments:

Post a Comment